Monday, November 07, 2005

Language: a barrier?

All along I thought that language was the problem between two people. If you speak Chinese in front of a non-chinese, the other party will feel disturbed and may even think that you are talking about him/her. As such, I have always tried to speak English when there are non-chinese speakers around. This is an act of respect. Likewise, I will feel strange if people speak languages that I do not understand in front of me.

I thought that was the problem. I changed my mind today. Even English, a common language can be a problem. During a meal with a handful of people, I felt totally unease. The thing was that they kept talking about their common friends.

Hey do you know who YY is?
Yes.
Wah such a coincidence.
Yak yak yak

Warrao. Cant we switch to a common topic??? Then everyone can take part in the conversation. I just kept quiet throughout the whole meal. There was nothing I could contribute cos I did not know YY, ZZ etc. I was just wondering how I should have reacted. Say politely that I did not know these people they were talking about and changed the subject for them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home